Every now and then, it's helpful to evaluate where you are at your current job, in your career, and how it's all relating to your happiness. We can often find ourselves in bad jobs and too busy to realize it or great jobs and too busy to appreciate it.
Take stock of where you are with 10 easy questions to ask yourself:
- Do I have enough disposable income to support my lifestyle?
- Would an industry change dramatically improve my career?
- Do I have enough free time to spend with family, friends, and hobbies?
- Are there career opportunities ahead at my current organization?
- Am I appreciated as a professional at work?
- Do I have a mentor who is helping me improve and achieve my goals?
- Am I still learning enough and having a big enough impact?
- Does this job negatively or positively impact my social life?
- Do I still enjoy going to work in the morning?
- Are things like my geography, commute, and benefits all in order?
After you ask yourself these questions, you'll have a clearer view of where you're at in your career, if it's where you want to be, and what changes you need to make accordingly.
If most of your answers are positive, congratulations -- you're likely happy where you're at and only headed for happier times ahead. If you find yourself looking for something different or something more, head into JobHero and start your search for a new gig. Even if it takes you months to find it, you'll thank yourself later for taking the first few steps.